Glitch Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vampire the Eternal Struggle

+6
FaIrY_HaPPy
shd0w
Eblis
donweir
Rolodium
Kraus
10 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Vampire the Eternal Struggle Empty Vampire the Eternal Struggle

Post  Kraus Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:49 pm

Hello!

As discussed today, on 9th of April I will give out a Vampire the Eternal Struggle demonstrational game. For those who do not know, VtES is a CCG by Richard Garfield, the guy who made the original concept and expansions of Magic the Gathering, and is based on the RPG world of Vampire the Masquarade, by White Wold. It is a multiplayer based game, with a unique gameplay system and lot of variety between games, even if no single card is changed in a deck.

I'll bring 5 toned down versions of my own decks for demo use, and bring 3 rulebooks for people. What's best about the game, is that it's ridiculously easy and cheap to get started with, if not easy to get a hold of rules wise. But more about that on the 9th! Smile

What I'd like, is some sort of list of people who might be, or will definitely be interested. There's space for the 5 most enthusiased, and the rest will most likely understand the basic concept just by watching.

Keep posting! Smile
-Petrus

For those really interested already, take a look at these two excellent websites:
www.vekn.net
www.thelasombra.com

Last edited by Kraus on Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:03 am; edited 2 times in total
Kraus
Kraus

Back to top Go down

Vampire the Eternal Struggle Empty Re: Vampire the Eternal Struggle

Post  Rolodium Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:00 am

I am certainly going to be interested in this.
Rolodium
Rolodium
Sir Spamsalot
Sir Spamsalot

Back to top Go down

Post  donweir Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:09 am

i'll be up for it
donweir
donweir
Site Admin
Site Admin

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1721388441

Back to top Go down

Post  Eblis Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:26 am

Count me in as well, sounds like it will be alot of fun. Very Happy
Eblis
Eblis

Back to top Go down

Post  shd0w Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:04 am

count me in aswell i'd love to learn a new card game
shd0w
shd0w
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

https://www.facebook.com/shd0w

Back to top Go down

Post  Kraus Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:01 am

Awesome. Smile

There's still room for a fifth one, but the demo will ensue even if there is only two people interested finally. The game is designed for 3-6 players, and the ideal table consists of 5 players - I can either play or be left out.

For those interested there's a copy of the printed wee rulebook, word to word, on Vampire, Elder Kindred Network, here: http://www.vekn.net/index.php/rulebook

We'll take around an hour and a half for the demo, and then either carry the game over or start a fresh one depending on the popular opinion. If anyone fancies reserving a deck in advance, I'll be bringing the following:
Toreador
Salubri with Malkavians
Nosferatu Antitribu
Ravnos
Samedi

If you wish, you can browse through every single card in the game here: www.vtes.pl (remember to change the language to english from top right corner!)

Let's meet then! Smile I'll try to be on time and stuff.
Kraus
Kraus

Back to top Go down

Post  FaIrY_HaPPy Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:40 pm

Sounds really good Smile been reading through some of the websites you put up and it defiantly seems like it'll be very fun Smile tho I think I might just watch it being played through if that's okay just so I can get mind to understand how it works lol but yea really looking forward to it Very Happy Very Happy
FaIrY_HaPPy
FaIrY_HaPPy

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin22 Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:28 pm

Hi,

I think I'll watch the game being played.
If you don't mind I probably will have some questions.

M.
Martin22
Martin22

Back to top Go down

Post  Kraus Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:35 pm

I don't mind if all of the society is watching. Very Happy The more the merrier. Questions can always be asked either during demo, or before or after either here or in Facebook.

I'm ahead of my time, I know, but:

I just found a pretty cool deal, where I could get 924 Library cards and 224 Crypt cards, featuring all 6 Camarilla clans and their Sabbat variants (+some Tscimize), for 100 pounds (£17-20 for 5-6 people). Including postage. Also, I know some people in VEKN who are pretty devoted into helping newcomers get started, and usually like to send out some high utility cards for free. Consider that decks are usually made out of 12 Crypt cards and 70-90 Library cards, and do the math. There's no need to buy more cards in a year at least.

Also, there're plans for a tournament at stary of May in Dublin, and the English nationals are in mid of May in Burton-on-Trent. So there's a kickstart for those who wanna. Cool

Don't feel pressured, it's just an offer! Surprised Also, let's see if you like the game first.
Kraus
Kraus

Back to top Go down

Post  Rolodium Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:56 am

Is there a Malkavian deck? Cause I always do a Malkavian best as those will testify Razz
Rolodium
Rolodium
Sir Spamsalot
Sir Spamsalot

Back to top Go down

Post  Kraus Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:39 am

Rolodium wrote:Is there a Malkavian deck? Cause I always do a Malkavian best as those will testify Razz
There is one Salubri deck with Malkavian helpers. Smile That could be tuned into a true Malkavian deck if you fancy, though. That's one of the possibly weirder decks, so I was planning on using it myself just to avoid confusion, but if you think you're a swift learner, I'll steal the all-the-weirder Ravnos for myself.

Provided a fifth player doesn't show up of course! Smile If one does, I'll skip play and just help everyone out.
Kraus
Kraus

Back to top Go down

Post  Rolodium Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:56 am

Well we shall see how it goes... I just love being the crazy one!!!
Rolodium
Rolodium
Sir Spamsalot
Sir Spamsalot

Back to top Go down

Post  FaIrY_HaPPy Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:45 pm

Rolodium wrote:Well we shall see how it goes... I just love being the crazy one!!!

And you do it so well and all lol Smile
FaIrY_HaPPy
FaIrY_HaPPy

Back to top Go down

Post  Eblis Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:19 am

Thats because he just acts like he always does Razz
Eblis
Eblis

Back to top Go down

Post  Kraus Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:11 pm

I'm actually now tempted to add a copy of a card called Total Insanity to the Malks thing. Wink

See you guys on Saturday! Still, Question that might arise, I'll shed Idea into gladly. And tell friends, it's always cool that way. Smile
Kraus
Kraus

Back to top Go down

Post  Kraus Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:11 pm

It was so busy today!

For everything else than Vampire, mind. Smile And I'm not blamind you guys - there was a gadzillion tournaments and stuff going on, and I'm not surprised people rather took up their own things than something new, weird and in the end pretty time consuming.

Jodie owned the field, though, when her Toreador, led by the Prince of Amsterdam, Klaus van der Veken, drew the rampagind Nosferatu lackies of the Sabbat away from the town, even though it was a really close call. You can't compete with the power of presence, and crowds and politics when it comes to it! Klaus' Primogen, Victoria Ash, will take her time in torpor, however. No one will miss her ruined dress, that fancy pants.

So, keeping it short: Jodie didn't have anything else to do, so I handed her a Toreador deck and faced her off with Nosferatu Antitribu. I think she picked up the basics pretty well, for someone who hasn't been playing CCGs before. I hope she'll infect Doire with some kind of an interest, and insight even.

But people told me there's a lot more interest than there was time today. Allen was tied up behind the counter, and everyone with their own games, and some didn't manage to show up. And propably people were also a bit put off by the time they needed to commit to the learning session. This is for all a new, and a rather complex game, however, so the demo will take some time!!

That kept in mind, we're obviously better off to pick a date dedicated to Vampire alone. Surprised

Next attempt will be Tuesday, the 12. of April, in SCR, and we'll start off at half past 5! Now, here's what we're gonna do:

-I'll come at 5, hopefully a bit earlier, and set up everything accordingly.
-Demo starts at half past five, and will take TWO HOURS, and it will be pretty intensive. So don't take anything else on your belt! There are 5 seats reserved per each demo.
-We'll go through the basics, with set starting positions, and go through step by step, until we have covered most of the things people need to know. I think this will take roughly 1½ hours, and the last ½ an hour should go smoothly; or we'll leave that for discussion.

If there is enough interest for another table, that will start at 8 sharp!

-Follow the same instructions as the half 5 group.
-This demo will end at 10.

For all hooked, and interested in more stuff, we'll either have a real game with the decks, with no pre-generated setups, and no dumbing decks down, or just talk about buying your own decks. In that I have taken precautions, and will be able to help a newly embraced gaming group to have a flying kickstart.

Also, tournament coming up in Dublin, so more people to play with and most likely get free cards from. Smile

This thing Does require some Commitment, and player Initiative! Very Happy

Discussion? Jodie's impressions? Cool

-Petrus

ps. I had a hell of a time today! Thank you rugby balls and Rock Band!
Kraus
Kraus

Back to top Go down

Post  Kraus Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:43 pm

I'm not the one to exaggerate. I usually aren't. That being said: I had so much fun tonight.

Thank you, Doire, Zack and Jodie! Very Happy I can't believe you'd be so good actors that you could possibly fake enjoyment that well. Made me happy. And thumbs up for picking it up so well! Demo went well, and by the end of stuff even Doire seemed to get along with how things go in VtES!

Things made simple enough: Jodie ravaged me AGAIN, after I spent loads of blood and pool on stupid crap, and Doire's Nosferatu beating my Ravnos princess into torpor. A timely block from Doire left her there, and torporized another one of my vampires, and that left plenty of space for Jodie to take me out. In the meantime Zack's Malkavians bloated into massive hordish sizes, and after Jodie sneakily took out Doire just after me, it was a matter of Zack slowly but steadily wearing the Toreador down. So it was a draw after, what, 4 hours of a game!

But so much fun! :O

Now sleep. Blergh.

Krausedit\\ Check www.vtes.pl for card searches, if you're interested. The 'advanced' button offers quiet a bit of search variety - and all of the cards in the world are in there. None of them are too rare to acquire these days!
Kraus
Kraus

Back to top Go down

Post  Kraus Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:59 am

Right!

The last time we played Jodie did some course work, and Stuart decided to use the mysterious Ravnos instead of the Toreador royalty, who had proven rather effective in the last games. That left me with them, preying on Daire and his trusted Nosferatu, who bled Stuart, followed by the ever-so-confident Zakk with his tricksy Malkavians and Serenna the White. This time we used whole decks, in their true power, and that showed - things were brutal.

Stuart tried to get a grasp of the game early on, and while doing pertty well with that, was faced by horrible, horrible starting hand and bad cards from the beginning. He had a last chance trick, however, the Week of Nightmares, which should be used only in the most dire of circumstances. That came pretty early, when his vampires took a real beating under the Signposts the Nosferatu had picked up on the way to beat stuff with. He took a last desparate lunge, which oddly enough took down the very scary Zakk, who had reduced himself to only 4 pool in order to bring out as many vampires as possible! The Malkavians had gotten reckless, and paid a high price for it.

By that time the Toreador had groven confident and fat in their palaces, and pushed new rules and votes through after another. By the time of the Malkavian's demise, they had a third vampire out, the ancient member of Camarilla Inner Circle, that positively scared Daire - and there was a reason! But, the Nosferatu had previously ruined the make-up-game the Toreador had, and thus without the Aching Beauty the Toreador were slowed down. And everyone knows how resilient those Nosferatu vermin can be! With one vampire they blocked five actions in one turn, and I was getting desparate, especially because the Ravnos were struggling with their Nightmares, and were very close to being ousted if just the Nosferatu had a rush and packed some stealth - if the Famous Ravnos went into torpor, it would ruin the last plans of Stuart! Sadly enough Daire had forgotten the Fame, but struggled effectively 'till the end, and forced me to use almost all of my resources. Eventually the Toreador grew too powerful and drew the Nosses from their sewers and the gypsies away from town, even though they were very close to being rid from their constant Nigthmare.

Was a good game! Smile Too bad I took one of the strongest decks, and one easiest to play, so that was a mistake on my behalf, but I hope it didn't turn people down too much.

So yeah. Now that people have pretty much gone home and there's a high chance I won't be hanging around once you get back together (my time's running short. Surprised ) I'll let you guys check out an offer I was thinking if you're interested in starting:

www.vtes.de

They have a webstore that's closing down once they sell stuff. All of the starters are really under the market value, and they have pretty good stocks. What I'd advice you to do, is:
4 Starters from Kindred Most Wanted
4 Starters from 3rd Edition
4 Starters from Keepers of tradition
Blood Shadowed Court Vampire Pack

The Kindred Most Wanted starters have plenty of high utility cards for almost all clans, and support Camarilla clans well. There are also a starter for the City Gangrel, and the notorious Baali. The Baali starter has some ridiculously good and rare stuff overall.
The 3rd edition starters concentrate on the Sabbat, and include Brujah, Malkavians and Tremere. As a wild card, a pretty combatty starter for the Tsimicze.
The Keepers of the Tradition starters concentrate on the Camarilla, and pack an effective bunch of cards, if not that verstile. Toreador, Malkavians, Brujah and Ventrue - these include the poewrful Inner Circle vampires, the eldest of the bunch!
The Blood Shadowed Court is a reprint of 100 different vampires, almost all of which Camarilla. Enough to make a crypt for the Nosferatu or Tremere, and a sweet addition to any Camarilla clan.

The set would be 31x3+8 euro, which is £89, plus postage, which is £8. Let's call it roughly 100 pounds.

I can see Stuart, Daire, Zakk and Jodie starting. Also, Martin would love this, I presume, once you get to read and play a game or two. A group of 5 is very ideal, and would result in £20 each to start. This'll give you 244 vampires out of 8 different clans (12 vampires per crypt in a deck), and 924 library cards. Also, VtES starters are pretty cool in the sense that they don't include sucky stuff. Cards that come along from these things are actually pretty good.

So yeah, that'll be, like, fun for at least a couple of years. We played with my friends with the contents of one or two starters for more than a year before we found a need for more cards. There's a high chance you wouldn't need more cards ever if you're happy with the customization of these guys.

If you need additions to the Tsimicze or Gangrel card pools, I can track down the trustworthy and cheap card resellers from ebay. It usually goes, like, 1$ for 4-5 commons, or 1-3 uncommons, whereas I can't see myself playing any card in a deck more than 5 copies at a time. Vampires are usually 1$ for 1-2. Easy as hell.

So, Stuart, Daire, Zakk, Jodie and Martin, discuss this amongst yourselves. Smile Vtes.de has their webstore open 'till the end of May. If you think you want to do that, I can help you organise and make some sense out of the huge collection and help putting some decks together, since I'm still here in May. Think about it. It's a pretty good deal.

Let me know!
-Petrus
Kraus
Kraus

Back to top Go down

Post  Kraus Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:11 am

Kraus
Kraus

Back to top Go down

Post  Kraus Tue May 03, 2011 1:45 pm

I'll remind you guys:

The place I linked above is open, so the low prices last for, until the end of this month! Which is May. pirat Anyways, if you want to have a deal of that, you should concider investing soon.

Now that I think about it again, it might be unlikely you'll get Martin working on this, 'cause I get that he'll be moving down South next year? In that case for the four of you the package is a bit much, I understand. You could consider dropping one of the boxed sets (but if I were you I would keep the Blood Shadowed Court for good measure - possibly adding even a second one) to save money and make it a bit more manageable for 4 people. For what I've heared, all four of you would be in for it. (:

So yeah, you better discuss the thing. Anyways, I'd highly consider buying a box of 4 different starters from at least two sets, and the Blood Shadowed Court for extra vampires to play around with. Any of the three sets works fine with the others, with arguably the least synergy with kindred Most Wanted and Keepers of Tradition. But 3rd edition works fine with either - and with best synergy you could imagine having all 12 starters I mentioned.

Anyways, it's tick tock because of the store closing before June. Smile If that 25 pounds is too much for you lot, and you can't bully anyone fifth into starting, dropping one set from the wishlist would reduce it below 20 pounds with 4 people.
Kraus
Kraus

Back to top Go down

Post  Eblis Tue May 03, 2011 2:24 pm

I'm up for it my money is in, so I can easily put in £20 to make this happen. I know it may sound like a lot of money, but I just spent £50 finishing off a 15 point Warmachine list, that has already cost me £30 not counting books and paints. Although I have got bits that I can use for next list, so it isn't that 'bad'Rolling Eyes. In the world of table top wargames this is considered cheap gaming, Kraus can back me up on this Razz.

I had a lot of fun playing VtES and would love to play it again, I enjoy card games, but Yu-Gi-Oh never inspired me, and Magic the Gathering is an endless black hole of money. It would be a shame to let this opportunity fade into the night (pun intended), I'm happy enough to place the order if people just want to hand over cash. So what say you? Very Happy
Eblis
Eblis

Back to top Go down

Post  Kraus Tue May 03, 2011 2:49 pm

Eblis wrote: In the world of table top wargames this is considered cheap gaming, Kraus can back me up on this Razz.
In the world this is cheap gaming. Very Happy I'm telling you, yes it is! Consider how much money you usually put into consoles, PC, your average football hobby if you play in a team, having a car, investing in an instrument - not to even mention wargaming! Wink And I promise you 8-12 starters (£80-100) will keep you going for at least better parts of 2011. If not 2012.

Magic the Gathering is an endless black hole of money.
This. //shudder

It would be a shame to let this opportunity fade into the night (pun intended), I'm happy enough to place the order if people just want to hand over cash. So what say you? Very Happy
If yer feeling lazy and stuff, just tell me and I'll make the order and collect some money once the cards are here. Smile That way I can also help you around with the sorting of cards and stuff, to get you started.

The deals I would recommend you, including what kinds of starts you would have:

In every deal I would include Blood Shadowed Court, because it is cheap and includes powerful vampires of all six major Camarilla clans: Nosferatu, Brujah, Toreador, Malkavian, Tremere and Ventrue. They are easy to mix with any other starter set.

:3rd Edition + Kindred Most Wanted: The major clans must face also the City Gangrel, and the leaders of Sabbat, Tscimize. Also, the Baali starter has a lot to offer to the Tremere. Anathema ja Alastors include some highly usable combat cards, and powerful referendums for Camarilla Justicars. A collection of variable cards for many instances, but little boost for certain archtypes. £72

:3rd Edition + Keepers of Tradition: The Camarilla and the Sabbat face each other off, with the Ventrue, Malkavians, Toreador and Brujah gaining the aid of powerful members of the Inner Circle. This set lacks the diversity of the Kindred Most Wanted, but contains plenty of powerful, more focused approaches. Many clans have interviening discplines, so mish mashing cards is easy. £72
This might be the more beginner friendly version.. For Daire the Gangrel stuff could be ebayed for 10 pounds.

:3rd Ed + KoT + KMW: All major clans gain a huge boost, with only Protean and the Baali's Daimionion left without a back up starter. £100

KMW has Gangrel, Baali, Alastors and Anathema.
3rd Ed has Malkavian, Tremere and Brujah antitribu and Tscimize.
KoT has Toreador, Malkavian, Brujah and Ventrue.
See http://thelasombra.com/decks.htm for more information about the contents.
Kraus
Kraus

Back to top Go down

Post  Kraus Wed May 04, 2011 1:23 pm

Done and done. Cool

Vampire cards coming up. I suppose the order'll be here next week. Wanna have a game in the midst of exams to wind down? Wink
Kraus
Kraus

Back to top Go down

Post  Eblis Wed May 04, 2011 3:28 pm

Wait what is happening, I'm guessing cards are being ordered, but what is being ordered and who is putting in cash?

Also am I included in this? Can someone please shead some light on what is going on here? It would be greatly appreciated, cheers.
Eblis
Eblis

Back to top Go down

Post  Knash3r Wed May 04, 2011 3:31 pm

As far as i know Petrus has ordered cards for you ,me, Zakk and Jodie at £25 each, I for one have said yes to ordering them and am happy to give him money for them on friday or whenever.

Have no idea whos getting what though
Knash3r
Knash3r
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next